About Me

I'm a Utah mom, just trying to make ends meet. Several years ago, I was introduced to a new way of couponing. I've been addicted ever since. I have a hard time paying full price for anything anymore.

I love couponing so much, I decided to become a teacher for Grocery Smarts.

I teach free classes and show you how to get everything you need at the grocery store and still leave $$$ in your pocket. I'll also teach you the best ways to get and organize your coupons. The best part of the class is when I show you how to match your current coupons up with the current local sales - getting the most bang for your buck!


Search This Blog

December 18, 2009

Christmas indulgences.....

Okay - who can diet this time of year? I've tried before and have decided that this time of year comes with too many temptations. I have found for myself that resistance is futile.

I hope you don't mind if I share a few of my favorites and a few that I'd really like to try.

I love Caramel Pull Aparts - these were always made for special occassions and Christmas was one of them. Rhodes has a great YouTube channel where you can watch how they put together all their delicious recipes. Here's one way to make caramel pull aparts. Here's another version (the one I typically use) that was on Good Things Utah this morning.


Breakfast Casserole

I don't really have a recipe for this - I just use what sounds good. I start with a hashbrown and egg mixture. I usually add a small bottle of salsa, green chiles, mushrooms, bacon and sausage. I dump all of this in a crock pot (you can also put this in a 9x13 pan and cook in the oven. When I use the crockpot it will cook in 1-2 hours on high or 3-4 hours on low.


Homemade Caramels

3 C whipping cream

1/2 c sweetened condensed milk

2 c light corn syrup

2 c sugar

1 tsp salt

1 tsp vanilla

In a double boiler scald whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk over low heat.

In a heavy, 4 qt pan bring corn syrup, sugar, and salt to a boil, stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon. As mixture begins to turn a light golden color, add scalded whipping cream and sweetened condensed milk, 1 tablespoon at a time until all has been added, stirring constantly after each addition.

Attach candy thermometer to pan and cook, stirring constantly over medium heat until thermometer reaches 232 degrees F. Immediately remove from heat. Stir in vanilla. Pour into lightly greased 9x13 pan. Cool in refrigerator until firm enough to cut into squares of desired size.

Note: Caramel becomes extremely hot. Handle with care and keep out of reach of children.

My friend from Cooking with Kiddies posted a couple of recipes that I'm definitley going to have to try out this year. Check out her posts for Cake Balls and Oreo Truffle Balls.


Yummm.....I could certainly go on with all the tasty treats that I enjoy this time of year, but I won't. If you have a great recipe you'd like to share - I'd love to hear about it!

2 comments:

Rindy said...

I love it. I've tried the pull aparts before unsuccessfully, maybe this version will work better. I can't wait to try.

Tracie said...

Oh man! I wish I lived by you so I could help you eat all that!

Popular Posts