About Me

I'm a Utah mom, just trying to make ends meet. Several years ago, I was introduced to a new way of couponing. I've been addicted ever since. I have a hard time paying full price for anything anymore.

I love couponing so much, I decided to become a teacher for Grocery Smarts.

I teach free classes and show you how to get everything you need at the grocery store and still leave $$$ in your pocket. I'll also teach you the best ways to get and organize your coupons. The best part of the class is when I show you how to match your current coupons up with the current local sales - getting the most bang for your buck!


Search This Blog

May 5, 2009

Grocery Shopping and Dumb Mistakes

I'll admit, I made not 1, not 2, but 3 stupid mistakes shopping yesterday. I have no idea where my head was, but it certainly wasn't on shopping.
First - here's what I got and then I'll point out my mistakes.



1 bag Albertsons pretzels

1 bag Santitas corn chips

1 bag Albertsons potato chips

8 cans Hunts Spaghetti sauces (mistake #1)

2 pkg of Mission tortilla's (mistake #2)

4 pkgs Albertsons Au Jus mix

4 pkgs Albertsons brown gravy mix

1 pkg Chocolate/Banana mix

1 pkg Orange mix

1 gallon Albertsons orange juice

2 loaves Grandma Sycamore bread

1 pkg Albertsons hamburger buns
2 Betty Crocker cake mixes

2 cans Betty Crocker frosting (birthday season at my house)

1 pkg Twizzlers

1 pkg Gummy Lifesavers

2 Oscar Mayer Deli Creations sandwiches

6 boxes Kellogs Poptarts (mistake #3)

6 Glaceau Vitamin waters

6 Yoplait yogurts

1 pkg Sushi (California rolls)

1 pkg Oreos

2 Chef Boyardee meals

1, 8 pk of Coke

2 pkgs Albertsons 1lb bacon

I still did pretty well on price. I paid $80.47 and saved $57.72. I had 2 $5 off coupons from my last shopping trip to Albertsons and I had another $5 off the purchase of $30 coupon that was mailed to me. So right there, that was a good chunk of savings.

Here's where I went wrong.

Mistake #1 - I failed to cut the coupon out of the paper making the Hunts Spaghetti Sauce $.88 rather than the $1.00 each that I paid for them.

Mistake #2 - Again, I failed to cut the coupon out of the paper for the Mission Tortilla's. On top of that, I only half read the coupon. I saw the word Medium on the coupon and on the ad and automatically picked up two packages. When I got home, I realized I purchased some very large quantities of tortilla's - see for yourself.....I'm glad these freeze well.


Mistake #3 - Again, it was not cutting out the coupon from the paper.
I could blame this on the cashiers (they usually know me and just ring them up with a coupon they have on hand), but that wouldn't be fair. It was my fault and I failed to catch it before leaving the store at midnight last night. I probably could have saved another $5-$7 if I had done what I should've and cut out the coupons.
Oh well - we all live and learn, I just wanted to show that even I make mistakes when I grocery shop. Lets chalk this up to a learning experience.

No comments:

Popular Posts